The Traffic Calming Policy (TCP) will be administered by the Public Works Director and his or her designees. The Director is authorized to utilize the steps identified below when the City receives a Request for Action (RFA) for traffic calming. The Director shall have the authority and discretion to determine what review steps, if any, should apply to an RFA based on circumstances, including but not limited to safety, budget, staff resources and public health and welfare.

The TCP is a step-by-step process which may include the following:

  1. A resident completes a Request For Action (RFA) form. RFA forms can be obtained from the Newcastle City Hall lobby and from the Newcastle website.
  2. The Public Works Department (PW) reviews each RFA. Specifically, the RFA may be reviewed by the Public Works Director, Assistant City Engineer and/or Maintenance Manager. The Police Chief may be consulted to determine accident history, traffic violations, etc.
  3. The Public Works Director may appoint a primary staff lead to address the RFA.
  4. The staff lead will contact the resident who submitted the RFA to inform him, her or them that the RFA is being evaluated.
  5. The lead may perform a site investigation, take photos, etc. The staff lead may request to meet with the requestor at the site.
  6. The staff lead may report back to the Director with his/her findings, potential solutions and a recommended solution. The staff lead may recommend a final solution to the Director. The final solution should be site-specific.
  7. The final traffic calming solution to address an RFA may be considered in roughly the order of A through I. Many of the solutions may be completed at step B or F. A step may not be applicable or multiple steps may be implicated. Every situation is different. The potential steps to a resolution are:
  1. Perform no improvements beyond investigating the site (allocate no funding).
  2. Limb or remove trees (to improve sight distance).
  3. Provide neighborhood education via a community meeting, letter, etc.
  4. Request additional police presence.
  5. Conduct a speed study or reviewing past speed study information (volumes, median speed, 85% percentile speed).
  6. Install additional street signage or revising sign locations.
  7. Paint street markings (crosswalks, stop bars, yield signs, etc.).
  8. Consider hiring a traffic engineer specialist.
  9. Construct physical improvements such as sidewalks, speed humps, bike lanes, ADA ramps, traffic chicanes, etc.Costly improvements such as more than $3,000 will be considered on a project by project basis, budget permitting and based on City Manager approval.
City of Newcastle | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.